With summer in full swing, many people are taking advantage of the warmer weather and longer days to enjoy the outdoors and taking trips. Since more people tend to have more free time during the summer months, the roads are often busier than any other time of year--even those who have had too much to drink before driving. Although there is an inherent increase in traffic congestion in the summertime, it is also the season that police departments increase the presence of officers on the lookout for drunk drivers.
The following are the most common reasons for increased DUI arrests during summer:
- Hotter temperatures - People tend to drink more when they feel hot, whether it's a glass of water or a bottle of beer. When alcohol is consumed too fast in hot weather, people can reach a higher level of intoxication without realizing so, which makes driving drunk even more dangerous.
- Holiday celebrations - From the Fourth of July to Labor Day, there are many holidays throughout summer to celebrate. However, most celebrations involve alcohol consumption. Outdoor events that last all day may cause some people to drink too much prior to operating a vehicle.
- More socialization - Longer days result in more socialization when the sun is still out. There is more daylight to enjoy the company of others and drink together.
- More young drivers on the road - When school is out for the summer, a higher number of young drivers are on the road for longer periods of time. Many teenagers get arrested for drinking and driving more often during the summertime than any other season of the year.
- More police officers on the street - With more celebrations and events happening in the summer, more officers are out patrolling the streets for intoxicated drivers. Since this time of the year also results in more traffic accidents and fatalities involving alcohol, law enforcement attempts to deter such behavior.
If you have been arrested for DUI in Ventura County, contact Wilfert Law P.C. and schedule a free consultation with our Ventura criminal defense lawyer immediately.