Criminal Defense in Ventura County
How to Obtain a Restricted License

How to Obtain a Restricted License

Upon a DUI arrest, whether you fail the chemical test at the police station or refuse to take one, law enforcement authorities will give you a temporary license after confiscating your actual driver’s license. While your temporary license provides full privileges for 30 days, you need to contact the DMV within 10 days schedule a hearing to avoiding automatic suspension of your driver’s license.

If you are a first-time DUI offender and you lose your DMV hearing, however, the DMW will suspend your license for a minimum of one month. Once this one-month suspension period is over, you can obtain a restricted license to drive to work for the next four to five months (or possibly longer, depending on what occurs in court).

You must do the three following things once the 30-day or one-month suspension period is over:

  • Enrolled in an approved alcohol school
  • File proof of insurance (SR-22, proof of financial responsibility)
  • Pay the DMV a license reissue fee of $125

If you are a second-time DUI offender (within the last 10 years) and you lose your DMV hearing, your license will be suspended for one year. This means that you cannot drive for one entire year, not even to work.

If you are a third-time DUI offender (within the last 10 years) and you lose your DMV hearing, the DMV and the Court will attempt to revoke your driver’s license for three years. But after completion of the 18-month program and installation of an ignition interlock device (IID), you may be eligible for a restricted license that allows you to drive to work and for work-related reasons.

For more information, contact Wilfert Law P.C. and request a free consultation today.