Ventura Federal Defense Attorneys
If you have been charged with a federal crime, you could be facing penalties that are significantly more serious than those associated with state offenses. To avoid conviction, you need to work with an experienced legal team that understands federal criminal law.
Wilfert Law P.C. attorneys are experienced professionals well equipped to protect you against a federal charge. Call us today so we may begin reviewing your case: (805) 324-6777.
What Are Federal Crimes?
A federal crime is an act that violates a statute established by the United States Congress. In general, the law serves to protect the entire country. Naturally, there is some overlap between state and federal laws. In these scenarios, prosecutors of both jurisdictions will collaborate and decide how to proceed with charging the crime.
Federal Offense Charge Timelines
If you are charged with a federal crime, you need to enlist professional legal help and prepare for a lengthy defense process. Federal crimes proceed according to the following timeline:
- Initial complaint begins the case by sparking concern of possible criminal activity. It could take shape as a criminal complaint, arrest, indictment, or criminal information.
- Court appearance follows and a magistrate judge is now involved. You are read the charges, informed of your rights, a bail is set, and counsel selected.
- Arraignment happens within 70 days of your initial court appearance. You plead guilty or not guilty. If you meet bail and are determined not to be a dangerous risk, you will not be taken into custody again, though you will likely face limitations under your bail conditions.
- Pre-trial allows us to review the evidence the other party is presenting against you during discovery. This is also the period where a plea agreement may be reached, therefore ending the process.
- Trial occurs next before your choice of a jury or a judge through a bench trial. The trial will lead to the finding.
- Post-trial is the final step where you are either found guilty and charged or found not guilty, released and have your bail returned. You may also request an appeal.
The process is admittedly lengthy and perceivably daunting. Our defense attorneys will remain by your side throughout the entire process. For assistance and representation in English or Spanish, contact Wilfert Law P.C.
Defending Against Federal Crimes
When facing federal charges, it is crucial to have a skilled and experienced defense attorney by your side who understands the complexities of federal law. At Wilfert Law P.C., our Ventura federal defense attorneys have a deep understanding of federal criminal procedures and can provide you with a strong defense strategy tailored to your specific case.
Benefits of hiring our Ventura federal defense attorneys include:
- Extensive knowledge of federal laws and regulations
- Years of experience defending clients in federal court
- Ability to navigate the federal criminal justice system effectively
- Strong negotiation skills to potentially reduce charges or penalties
- Thorough investigation and analysis of evidence to build a solid defense
Whether you are facing charges for white-collar crimes, drug offenses, or other federal offenses, our dedicated team of Ventura federal crimes attorneys at Wilfert Law P.C. will work tirelessly to protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Our team is available to defend Ventura residents at the state and federal level. For immediate assistance, call (805) 324-6777.
NADC Recognized “Nation’s TOP ONE Percent”
Thousands of Cases Successfully Resolved
Experienced Former Police Officer & Prosecutor
We Are Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week for Immediate Help