Child Molestation in California
Experienced & Skilled Legal Representation Throughout Ventura County
In California, child molestation crimes are prosecuted with extreme aggression. A conviction for child molestation can result in extensive prison sentences, costly fines, and registration as a sex offender. The stigma of a child molestation conviction can have a substantial, negative impact on your personal and professional life.
If you are accused of child molestation in Ventura County, Wilfert Law, PC is committed to protecting your rights, reputation, and future. Our Ventura criminal defense attorney has over 10 years of experience defending our clients against various sex crimes, including child molestation offenses. Let us review your case and develop a strong defense strategy on your behalf today.
Child Molestation Crimes & Penalties
According to California law, child molestation is referred to as a lewd or lascivious act on a minor child. Touching the body in a sexual manner is considered a lewd and lascivious act, whether or not it is a sexual organ or on bare skin.
Child molestation crimes and their associated penalties include the following:
- Lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 years of age. A conviction results in a felony that is punishable by a maximum prison sentence of eight years and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Lewd or lascivious acts with a child age 14 or 15. A conviction can either result in a misdemeanor or felony. A misdemeanor conviction is punishable by a maximum county jail sentence of one year, while a felony conviction is punishable by up to three years in prison.
- Lewd or lascivious acts with a minor by force or fear. A conviction is a felony punishable by a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Annoying or molesting a minor. To be convicted of this crime, the prosecution must prove that you engaged in conduct directed at a minor, the conduct would've disturbed or offended a normal person, the conduct was motivated by an abnormal or unnatural sexual interest. This criminal offense can be either charged as a misdemeanor or felony.
- Soliciting a minor for lewd purposes. To be convicted of this crime, you must have arranged a meeting with a minor with the specific intent to engage in a lewd or lascivious act. A conviction is a misdemeanor.
- Continuous sexual abuse of a child. To be convicted of this crime, the prosecution must prove that you resided in the same home (or had recurring access) with child and engaged in three or more acts of “substantial sexual conduct” with a child who is under the age of 14. It is considered a felony, punishable by a six, 12, or 16-year prison sentence.
- Sex with a child under 10 years of age. A conviction is punishable by 15 years to life in prison.
Ready to Start Your Case Today
The sentencing and punishment for these child molestation crimes can be severe and potentially life-altering. Our Ventura criminal defense attorney understands what it takes to either get your case entirely dismissed or your charges reduced. Do not risk going up against these serious charges without experienced legal assistance.
NADC Recognized “Nation’s TOP ONE Percent”
Thousands of Cases Successfully Resolved
Experienced Former Police Officer & Prosecutor
We Are Available 24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week for Immediate Help